Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Believe them.

He poured more of the brandy we had progressed to after dinner. Anesthesia was coming along nicely.
I'm almost beginning to believe, he said, that somehow or other I'll still be here next year, even if I do have to sell Sandcastle and whatever else is necessary.
I drank from my replenished glass. Tomorrow we'll make a plan contingent upon Sandcastle's being reinstated in the eyes of the world. Look at the figures, see what the final damage is likely to be, draw up a time scale for recovery. I can't promise because it isn't my final say-so, but if the bank gets all its money in the end, it'll most likely be flexible about when.
Good of you, Oliver said, hiding emotion behind his clipped martial manner.
Frankly, I said, you're more use to us salvaged than bust.
He smiled wryly. A banker to the last drop of blood.
Because of stairs' being difficult I slept on the sofa where Ginnie had dozed on her last afternoon, and I dreamed of her walking up a path towards me looking happy. Not a significant dream, but an awakening of fresh regret. I spent a good deal of the following day thinking of her instead of concentrating on profit and loss.
In the evening Ursula telephoned with triumph in her strong voice and also a continual undercurrent of amazement.
You won't believe it, she said, but I've already found three racing stables in Newmarket where he worked last sum¬mer and autumn, and in every case one of the horses in the yard fell sick!
I hadn't any trouble at all with belief and asked what sort of sickness.
They all had crystalluria. That's crystals . . .
I know what it is, I said.
And . . . it's absolutely incredible . . . but all three were in stables that had in the past sent horses to Calder Jackson, and these were sent as well, and he cured them straightaway. Two of the trainers said they would swear by Calder, he had cured horses for them for years.
Was the lad called Shane? I asked.
No. Bret. Bret Williams. The same in all three places.
She dictated the addresses of the stables, the names of the trainers, and the dates (approximate) when Shane-Jason-Bret had been in their yards.
These lads just come and go, she said. He didn't work for any of them for as long as a month. Just didn't turn up one morning. It happens all the time.
You're marvelous, I said.
I have a feeling, she said with less excitement, that what I'm telling you is what you expected to hear.
Hoped.
The implications are unbelievable.

No comments: